Voice of the Faithful ®
Posts Tagged liturgical norms
Pope invokes ‘magisterial authority’ to declare liturgy change ‘irreversible’ / Cruxnow.com
Posted by Voice of the Faithful in Clergy Sexual Abuse, Future of the Church, Pope Francis, Voice of the Faithful on August 29, 2017
“Battles over liturgical practice have been a chronic feature of Catholic life since Vatican II.” (Cruxnow.com)
Addressing a group of liturgical experts on Thursday (Aug. 24), Pope Francis said that after the teaching of the Second Vatican Council (1962-65) and a long path of experience, ‘We can affirm with certainty and magisterial authority that the liturgical reform is irreversible.’
“The declaration came in a speech on Thursday (Aug. 24) to Italy’s ‘Center of Liturgical Action,’ which sponsors an annual National Liturgical Week.
“By ‘liturgical reform,’ Pope Francis meant the changes in Catholic rituals and modes of worship which followed from Vatican II, the most immediately visible elements of which included Mass facing the congregation, the use of vernacular languages, and a stronger emphasis on the ‘full, conscious and active’ participation of the people.
“Although Pope Francis is often seen as having less interest in liturgical questions than some of his predecessors, this was a lengthy and carefully footnoted reflection, roughly 2,500 words in all.”
By Ines San Martin, Cruxnow.com — Read more …
catholic rituals, Center for Liturgical Action, Cruxnow.com, future of church, Ines San Martin, liturgical norms, liturgical practice, liturgical reform, liturgy, magesterium, mageterial authority, National Liturgical Week, Pope Francis, roman catholic church, second vatican council, Vatican II, worship
- Illinois AG’s bombshell clergy abuse report not surprising
- Sex abuse in the Catholic Church: over 1,900 minors abused in Illinois, state says / The New York Times
- Voice of the Faithful Focus News Roundup, May 19, 2023
- Editorial: Knoxville Catholics deserve an update on Vatican’s investigation of Bishop Stika / National Catholic Reporter
- Lingering Vatican investigation of Tennessee bishop leaves diocese demoralized / National Catholic Reporter
Voice of the Faithful
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- Join 3,599 other subscribers
- 134,899 hits