Archive for March 28th, 2014

Former Altar Boy Fights for Better Sex Abuse Laws

Catholics4Change

Click here to read, “Alleged victim targets accused pedophile priest 30 years later,” by Jason Sickles, Yahoo News, March 28, 2014

Excerpt:

“…the Philadelphia Archdiocese conspired to shield Brzyski and 62 other priests who had molested hundreds of children over three decades. The hierarchy “excused and enabled the abuse” by burying reports and “covering up the conduct…to outlast any statutes of limitation.”

Because the time to file criminal charges had lapsed, neither Brzyski nor the other priests were ever charged.

Delaney, who had shared his abuse in graphic detail with the grand jury, rain into the same roadblock in civil court. His lawsuit was thrown out because at age 34 he was 14 years beyond the cutoff.

View original post

Leave a comment

Will Francis Tend to Those Most Impoverished by the Church? / National Catholic Reporter

Carl grew up in a devout Catholic family free of mental illness, substance abuse or any kind of violence. His older sister and younger brother are successful professionals and happily married with children. Carl was a straight-A student and a gifted athlete until the seventh grade, when Fr. L, Carl’s parish priest, asked him to work in the rectory on Saturdays. His folks were delighted that their priest had shown an interest in Carl, and encouraged him to accept the offer.

“Within a few weeks, Fr. L invited Carl to his room, where he ran his hand along the boy’s thigh, brushing his genitals, while praising him for being a good worker. Afterward, he told Carl he could help himself to beer kept in the rectory’s kitchen.”

By Mary Gail Frawley-O’Dea, author of “Perversion of Power: Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church” and a psychologist who has been working with sexual abuse survivors for 30 years, in National Catholic Reporter — Click here to read the rest of this column.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a comment

In Rare Move, One Roman Catholic Diocese Sues Another over Transfer of Priest Accused of Sexually Abusing Boys / Associated Press

In a rare legal move, a Roman Catholic diocese in Minnesota is suing a diocese in Ireland, alleging it transferred a priest to Minnesota without warning that the man had been accused of sexual abuse. A report by Minnesota Public Radio News and KARE-TV said the Diocese of New Ulm filed the lawsuit in February against the Diocese of Clogher in Ireland and the Servants of the Paraclete religious order.” By Associated Press in Star Tribune — Click here to read the rest of this story.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comment